April 6, 2024

Smurf Observed


The “scene” created near me, while I painted this higo tree, is burned in my memory. Doing art in a public place draws observers. This noble tree, a protected species in Nayarit, is on the grounds of a series of hot springs just outside of Tepic. Casa de NiƱos’ family playday picnic was happening all around me, as were other family gatherings. I began with bright aqua blue oil paint disguised among all the water-based acrylic. Blueness got on my hands, then my face; and the more I tried to wash it off with water, the more it spread. I gave up and stayed a “smurf” for the whole picnic.

As different folks came to watch, I noticed a kind of magical recognition in some of their faces. They saw anew the special qualities of the original garden, long before trampling feet. I’d have had an attentive audience had I thought to declare with words the Goodness and Beauty of our Creator, as seen in that place, in each other, and in Jesus thru whom all things have their being. Who could NOT have listened to the blue-skinned gringa who spoke Spanish?

Visual art speaks like no words can. Like music, it opens the soul its own way, where words might never reach. It is appropriate to worship with art, as Scripture tells us to do: worship God with all our heart, mind and strength... with our whole life.

Many folks preach with words, some with songs, and others in many creative ways, but we all preach what we believe with our observable lives. 

May we all shine with His Glory as we move about on the planet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is aboslutely beautifull! I Love the use of color and the visual textures! Great work of art!!